Onion (scientifically known as allium cepa) is a vegetable that grows underground throughout the world but originated in Asia. Onions are also known as common onions or bulb onions and come in different colors including red, yellow, and white. Yellow onions are the most common and are used extensively in a wide range of dishes globally. Onion is a staple food, used as a side dish, and for flavoring.
Onions have a lot of health benefits that are mostly driven by their antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties. The sexual benefits of onions are also talked about a lot, and it is often linked with male sexual health. It is believed to help men last longer in bed during sexual intercourse like other home remedies that treat premature ejaculation. How effective onion is in delaying ejaculation, and can onion make you last longer in bed with the help of its nutrients?
Yes, onions do have the potential to make you last longer in bed.
Table of Contents
Onion Nutritional Facts
Onion is a rich source of water, carbohydrates, and fiber. A 100 g of raw yellow onions have 90.1 g water, 8.61 g carbohydrates, and 1.9 g fiber, according to the USDA. So, onion is mostly water with small amounts of minerals that include:
- Calcium: 15 mg
- Iron: 0.28 mg
- Magnesium: 9 mg
- Potassium: 182 mg
- Zinc: 0.2 mg
- Vitamin C: 8.2 mg.
The nutritional value of different types of onions varies slightly. But all of them are more than 85% water and around 10% carbs.
Onions are a rich source of plant-based antioxidants that help your body fight free radicals and maintain oxidative stress. A study reported that yellow onions have 11x more antioxidants than white onions. Red and yellow onions are rich sources of antioxidants that aren’t always found in white onions.
Here is a list of the benefits of onions backed by scientific evidence:
- Onions are full of antioxidants. According to a study, onions have 17 types of antioxidants that improve heart health, reduce the risk of cancer, and help reduce free radicals
- Onions help save you from cancer. Several studies reported that consuming onions significantly reduces the risk of cancer in humans
- Multiple studies stated that onions reduce the risk of heart diseases due to flavonoids (a type of antioxidant that’s found abundantly in onions)
- Onions reduce blood sugar levels in humans. A study reported that consuming 100 g of onions per day reduces blood sugar levels. This makes onions a great vegetable for diabetic patients
- Onions increase bone density and significantly reduce bone loss. This makes it an ideal vegetable for aged men and women who suffer from bone issues. A study found that onion consumption is beneficial for bone density for women during their menopause phase
- Raw onions are found to be helpful in curing the symptoms of diabetes (type 1 and type 2). A review study reported that onion consumption helps with the management of type 1 and 2 diabetes
- A study found that onions improve digestive health by boosting the production and health of friendly bacteria in your gut.
Can Onion Make You Last Longer in Bed?
Yes, onions make you last longer in bed.
Onions don’t have a direct impact on sexual health. A study on rats found that onion juice increased ejaculation time and testosterone levels in male rats. There aren’t any studies on humans. However, there are certain nutrients in onions like magnesium and zinc that are extremely helpful in lasting longer in bed.
Lack of magnesium in your body, according to a study, leads to premature ejaculation which reduces your ejaculation time. Conversely, maintaining the level of magnesium in your body by consuming magnesium-rich foods saves you from premature ejaculation, and you can last longer in bed.
A 100 g of raw onion contains, on average, 9 mg of magnesium. The daily magnesium requirement for adult males is 400 mg, according to the NIH. Onions aren’t a rich source of magnesium, but they help you meet your daily requirements, and this eventually helps you maintain the necessary level of magnesium.
Zinc has several sexual benefits for men and it helps make you last longer in bed, according to several studies. Zinc also increases testosterone levels, sex drive, and male fertility by improving sperm health. Onion contains a small amount of zinc (0.2 mg per 100 g). The daily zinc requirement for adult men is 11 mg.
While onion isn’t a major source of zinc but eating it daily in different forms does make a difference. And it does help you last longer in bed.
Based on these studies, onions do help men last longer in bed and may treat premature ejaculation. However, more research is needed to confirm these nutrient-based ejaculatory benefits of onions.
Onion Vs Green Onion: What’s Better for Lasting Longer in Bed?
Green onions have more magnesium and zinc that make you last longer in bed than onions. This makes green onions better than onions for premature ejaculation.
Green onions, also known as spring onions, young onions, or scallions, are immature onions that lack a fully developed bulb. Green onions are either a very young and immature form of onions or they can come from a different plant that doesn’t have bulbs and produce only green onions.
Green onion has a milder taste and smell than onion. It has almost the same nutrients with the majority of them being water. However, green onions contain more magnesium and zinc than onions and this makes them better at delaying ejaculation.
A 100 g of raw spring onions contains 20 mg of magnesium and 0.39 mg of zinc that’s 2x what you get with onions.
Green onions, therefore, are better for lasting longer in bed than onions.
How to Use Onion to Last Longer in Bed?
Here are the best ways to use onions for premature ejaculation:
- Use onions in your dishes and meals. Onion is a staple food in almost all types of cuisines so using it and adding it to your meals isn’t an issue
- Drink onion juice. It has a lot of health benefits. You will get lots of magnesium and zinc from a single glass of onion juice. If you don’t like its taste, try adding honey or other flavors to the juice
- Onions can be used as a side dish in the form of roasted onions, grilled, baked, and deep-fried
- Add onion to your soups. It will give a nice taste to your soup
- The salad is incomplete without onions. Add chopped onions to the salad with other fruits and vegetables.
Will Eating Onions Just Before Sex Cure My Premature Ejaculation?
No, eating onions before sexual intercourse won’t cure premature ejaculation. Onions treat premature ejaculation by providing your body with magnesium and zinc (lack of both leads to premature ejaculation). The amount of magnesium and zinc in onions is minimal and it won’t do anything quickly. The best way to use onions for premature ejaculation is to add them to your routine and eat them daily in different forms and ways.
How Long Can Onions Take to React for Sexual Benefits?
Onions need at least 14 days to show results, based on a review study. Most of the studies are conducted on rats while a single study on humans improved testosterone levels in 14 days. However, participants consumed onion extract for 14 days and not raw onions.
When using raw onion, you need to use it in the form of juice to see results quickly.
How is Raw Onion Related to Sex Stamina?
Raw onion is not related to sexual stamina. There is no scientific evidence that eating raw onions increases or decreases sexual stamina. Raw onion is related to premature ejaculation and testosterone levels only where it treats premature ejaculation and increases testosterone levels.
What is the Best Time to Eat the Onion for Sex?
You can eat onions any time of the day. You need to use onion consistently and add it to your diet to benefit from it. Onions help you last longer in bed and increase testosterone levels based on scientific evidence. You might not experience any other sex benefits from eating onions.
Onion is a healthy vegetable that comes in different forms and colors. The nutrients in onion make it extremely useful for men as magnesium and zinc in onions make you last longer in bed. Studies have also shown that onions increase testosterone levels.
Don’t expect magical output from onions. Add them to your routine and use them daily as per need – naturally. The best you can do is drink orange juice for premature ejaculation and you will see results in a couple of weeks.
Updated: August 29, 2023